Friday, May 27, 2011

Tuna Casserole

I've been experimenting for awhile to find a good tuna casserole recipe that didn't have cream of mushroom soup! They never turned out that great and were always lacking the creamy-ness that you get when you use the canned soup. But the other day I found the solution...make your own cream soup! I made the tuna casserole yesterday and it was just what I've been looking for. Zach loved it too. I bummed I didn't think to take a picture though. Anyway, here is the recipe for making your own cream soup.


2 Tbsp. butter (I use real butter. The only ingredients being cream and salt. And I also get the unsalted version which makes it have hardly any salt. I used to get fat-free margarines, but have you tried reading the ingredients?!?!)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
2 cups of milk (use less if you want it thicker. I used whole milk)


-Heat butter and oil then add flour and salt. For cream of mushroom soup, add 12 fresh mushrooms, chopped. To make cream of celery soup, add celery. For cream of chicken soup, add 1 tsp chicken base (like bouillon) and substitute half the milk for chicken broth. Mix together for about a minute on low heat. Add milk and stir until thickened. This equals two 10 oz. cans cream soup. 

Next time I'm going to make a big batch of this and try freezing it in individual baggies so I won't have to make the soup each time. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Tuna Casserole


Whole wheat pasta (I used half a box of wheat rotini pasta, but just use whatever you have) 
About a cup of veggies (I used frozen peas and carrots)
2 cans of cream soup (The recipe above. I didn't make it with mushrooms or celery or chicken broth since I didn't have any of those! It still turned out great)
2 cans of tuna packed in water (Rinse it first to get rid of excess salt)
Dill (Not sure on the measurement. Just mixed it in until it looked/smelled good)
Onion (I used about a 1/2 cup of a frozen white, yellow and green onion mix we have)
Whole wheat breadcrumbs
Parmesan cheese (optional)

-Cook the pasta. In a large bowl, mix together pasta, veggies, soup, tuna, dill, and onion. Top with breadcrumbs and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment