Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dove...and Desserts

Today Zach and a good friend, Joe, went dove hunting today. They shot 7 doves and we had one of the most delicious dinners ever. The meat doesn't get much more organic and free range than that! In my opinion, dove really didn't taste any different than chicken except it looks darker. Joe wrapped the dove breasts in jalapeno and bacon and bbq'ed them over Jack Daniel's wood smoking chips. Mmmm, the smell was incredible! I was going to post pictures, but I can't seem to find the camera cord so that'll have to wait. I told Zach he needs to go hunting more often and bring home amazing meat like that again. I felt so...I don't know the right word...country... or self sufficient. haha.

Afterwards I tried out a new recipe for grain and dairy free pumpkin cookies. They turned out pretty good. I didn't have almond meal so I just ground up the almonds. But I think next time it'd be better if I bought actual almond flour so it won't be so coarse.


Pumpkin Cookies
1 cup of almond meal
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 egg
1 cup pumpkin
¼ cup coconut milk
4 tablespoons maple syrup
Preheat oven to 400. In a mixing bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients.  In another small mixing bowl mix the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.  Grease a baking sheet and scoop cookies onto the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.  Made 10 cookies.

I've been craving lemon bars too and stumbled across these- which again are grain and dairy free. They were sooooo good!!!


Lemon Bars
1 cup almonds (soaked the night before)
1 cup cashews (soaked the night before)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
4 tsp lemon zest
2 eggs
1 tsp sea salt
1 lemon curd recipe
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the almonds and the cashews in a food processor. Grind them into a medium fine “flour”. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until combined. Evenly spread the nut batter into a greased 8 by 8 pan. Cook 15-18 minutes. When the top is lightly brown, and a toothpick comes out clean when stuck in the middle, it’s done. Cool completely, then spread one recipes of lemon curd on top. Let set in the refrigerator for at least several hours. When ready to serve, take them out and cut into squares. Made 9 large squares.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment