Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love sitting around the big table with family and loved ones and sharing probably the biggest meal of the year. haha. I love getting to bake all morning and try out some new recipes. I love sitting around and playing games and laughing, laughing, laughing. :)


Of course, Thanksgiving is a time to think about and remember what you are thankful for. I have so much to be thankful for. I am thankful for my salvation, for Jesus coming to this Earth to die for ME and making me blameless in His site. Without him, I am nothing and would have nothing to live for. And because of that, I am thankful for all He has blessed me with. A wonderful, loving, handsome, fun husband. A happy, adorable son. A great place to live. An amazing church. My incredible friends and church family. Being able to stay home and be a wife and mom and my hardworking husband having a good job that supports us. My list could go on and on. God is so good!

I am also thankful for a yummy, relaxing and very enjoyable Thanksgiving we had in Tucson with my grandparents. My family was also able to drive over and spend a few days there. A good time was had by all!

My Thanksgiving menu included:


Of course lots of turkey!

Roasted Green Beans


Simply cut up green beans and place on baking sheet. Cook at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Topped with grass fed, organic butter.
 

Mashed "potatoes"


Cook cauliflower instead of potatoes. Use a hand mixer or food processor to mash them. I added some goat's milk, grass fed, organic butter, sea salt, pepper and a bit of parsley. 


Sweet Potato Casserole (I'm so bummed I completely forgot to get a picture!)

8 sweet potatoes, cooked
1/4 cup butter or coconut oil (I used my butter)
dash of salt

Mix everything together and put into a 9x13 baking dish.

Ok, this topping is amazingggg. Everyone- whether they were watching what they were eating or not (LOL)- loved this. Its surprisingly how much it really did taste like marshmallows. I didn't believe it at first when I read the recipe either. But you have to see for yourself!

5 egg whites
2/3 cup honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
dash of vanilla extract

Using a double broiler (or the recipe did say you could use a small pan with water and a glass bowl on top) whip the egg whites until fluffy. Add honey, cinnamon and vanilla and turn on the heat. Whisk for awhile (took about 20 minutes with Rachel and I trading off) until it is thick and the consistency is like melted marshmallows.

Spread over sweet potatoes. Put in the oven under broil for a minute or two until it's browned. YUM!

And finally, Pumpkin Pie


Crust:

1/2 cup almonds
1 cup pecans
4 tblsp melted grass fed, organic butter
dash of salt

Put everything into food processor. Press into pie pan and shape the crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

While that is baking, mix the pie filling:

1 can of pumpkin puree (only ingredient should be "pumpkin")
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut milk

Mix together and pour into crust. Bake for about 40 more minutes.

Now we're home and finally unpacked. I think it's time to break out the Christmas decorations this weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment